Sprint 17 - RNode, RSpace, and SRE standup notes

RSpace


Łukasz

  • 9/21 merged fine grained in dev. Support is still in place to use older solution
  •  9/26
  • 9/28
    • Added related issues to CORE-1064
    • Plan to complete sync var removal
    • PR open for CORE-1064 Yaraslau and Pawel to review
  • 10/3
    • PR open for CORE-1292
    • Yaraslau to review today, PR is blocking
  • 10/5
    • Review of cost-accounting PR for Mateusz related to produce and consume
    • Just starting CORE-1226
    • Supporting Sebastian on perf test work for threading
  • 10/8
    • Last week: ad hoc tasks, supporting cost-accounting, PR reviews (thread pools)
    • Next sprint: RSpace performance, removal of sync var...

Dom

  • Will be out for this sprint

Yaraslau

  • 9/21 unable to attend, dentist
  • 9/26 
    • Plan to merge and close CORE-1085
    • Working on Gatling scenarios
  • 9/28
  • 10/3
    • CORE-1085
      • Mike reviewed
      • What are next steps?
        • Need a test to understand why Lukaz and Yaraslau have different results
        • Concern if there is or is not data corruption
        • DECISION to put this on hold until graceful shutdown work is complete
    • What blocks a PR for CORE-986? created today
    • Will review Lukasz's PR today
  • 10/5
  • 10/8
    • Last week: 
    • Next sprint: needs to talk w/ Henry re: batch trie update


RNode



Pawel

  • 9/21 CORE-1150 will be closed today
  • 9/21 will prioritize CORE-1122
  • 9/21 adding task to document bootstrap address change
  • 9/26
    • How did the threading/scheduling work go? given to Sebastian
    • Had conversation with Kent re: broadcast API (see #comm) now part of CORE-1244. 
    • This sprint is a success when the streaming API, threading, and dumping is done. Everything is nice to have
    • DECISION close PR1442 (Tim's) will pick up the work from here. 
  • 9/28
  • 10/3 
    • Did you meet as a team to discuss acceptance criteria?
    • CORE-1244 (stream) Who should review?
  • 10/5
    • What are next steps for CORE-1244 (stream), https://github.com/rchain/rchain/pull/1616
    • Kelly owns next steps for CORE-1162
    • RISK (stream API) concern about porting Casper w/ Birch being out. 
    • RISK block could fit in a heap, but there could be a scenario where others are sending you blocks at the same time that would overwhelm the node. There is a queue process in place (see Sebastian's monix work). We will need a new strategy to handle queuing based on size. Sebastian may have a strategy. He's not sure it's doable because it requires inspecting the queue (how to do this?)
  • 10/8
    • Stream API is merged to dev. Some minor work will continue in next sprint. Plan to work with Kent to port some of Casper to streaming API
    • Planning on CORE-1162 done last week. 
    • Meeting with Jack took place last week
    • Focus of sprint to be streaming API, compression of packets  ported to stream, CORE-1162 work

Sebastian

  • 9/21 spent yesterday investigating timeouts. Related to upgrade of Monix and CATs version (upgrade fixed a sleeping issue and caused another) This work taking place in CORE-1148
  • 9/21 CORE-1199 plan to finish on Mon
    • Could merge function signature now. Will add to PR1514.
    • Will work on overflow component in a separate PR
  • Pawel to review PR1514 
  • 9/26
  • 9/28
    • What are next steps for CORE-1203, https://github.com/rchain/rchain/pull/1558? Why not merged? Tests are failing. Sebastian to work with SRE
    • Working on core-1230 (schedulers)
      • Concerns about runtime manager (Casper) and how it impacts packet handler and schedule
      • Will have 
  • 10/3
    • CORE-1230
      • PR approved today
      • There is concern about the thread count. What will you do to test?
      • Request to run this through the perf test before merging.
        • First run test against dev and then run against feature branch
  • 10/5
  • 10/8
    • Last week: thread pool work completed for things that are obvious and required work to pass integration and maintain performance in stress tests
    • Next sprint: message strategy

Alex

  • 9/21 unclear that any work on CORE-1134 has been done. Multiple requests after missing Wed standup did not result in any meaningful information shared with the team
  • 9/26
    • Met with Sebastian
    • Met with Lukasz
    • Has 2 PRs in review
  • 9/28
  •  10/3
    • CORE-1234
      • What is the plan to resolve conflicts and merge?
      • Working on resolving conflicts
    • CORE-1232
      • We had discussion last Fri. What is the blocker?
    • Planned conversation with Pawel for today to resolve CORE-1232
  • 10/5
    • Talked with Alex yesterday re: his work and challenges
  •  10/8
    • Last week: dump functionality, type
    • Next sprint: need to plan future work for dump/ELK

Keith

  • 9/21 requested to add links of docs to tickets to support review
  • 9/26
    • CORE-1160 (dev doc) done
    • Starting on CORE-1161 (node operator)
    • Struggling with adding in Kamon timers to codebase. Plans to work with Sebastian.
  • 9/28
    • Struggling with Scala on CORE-984. Encouraged to use #scala channel
  • 10/3 
    • submitted PR for timers 
    • Keith to schedule time to meet with Sebastian on Thurs
  • 10/5 
  • 10/8
    • Last week: PR in for Kamon timers
    • Next week: continue work on documentation




SRE


Tomáš

  • 9/21 working on Drone
  • 9/26
    • QUESTION - is  OPS-249 Getting issue details... STATUS  done?
    • Thanks for help with Rnode testing!
    • QUESTION - how is drone work going?
    • Working with build issues.and container learning
  • 9/28
  • 10/3
  •  10/5
    • Investigating issue on GitLab with outgoing connection to drone machine
    • Drafted plan on SLO
    • Transition
      • Plan to first switch integration tests
      • Next unit tests
  •  10/8
    • Last week: drone PR is open
    • Next sprint: ELK, explore new project to support users getting state of the node

Adam

  • 9/21 bugs created related to OPS-231
  •  9/26
    • Solicited feedback to support OPS-231. Worked with Sebastian. Solution to periodically poll some external server for the external IP address for the node and updating node with changes. Will write up plan in a ticket to 
    • Waiting for Medha to respond to core -1224, core-1151, core-975
    • Reviewing Ovidu's PRs
  • 9/28
    • QUESTION 
      • Will he pick up Ovidu's integration test work? Yes tickets assigned. Will move work to next sprint and estimate points
    • Java 10 got p2p test working. Running into issue with how GitLab runs tests. Plan to create VM that runs Java 10 that runs parallel to existing jobs.
    • Issue with Gitlab stuck on Thurs required a restart of machines
  • 10/3
    • There is something wrong with the Java 10 machine. After switching to new machine this is going well.
    • Gitlab part is working
    • Next steps: parallel 8 and 10 on Travis
  • 10/5 
    • What are next steps for Java 10 PR, https://github.com/rchain/rchain/pull/1614? Reviews in progress, change requests. Challenge is push local on CI. Using JDK 11 seems to be a solution.DECISION MOVE FORWARD WITH JAVA 10 shift
    • Timeout issues with P2P tests CORE-1311 in next sprint
    •  Supported community testing
    • Reviewing SLO doc
  • 10/8
    • Last week: Java 10 work. Experiencing test failures and merging fixes
    • Next sprint: Will need supplemental release to test push of release artifacts to GitHub release, adding new tests to CI, SLO work 

Jeremy

  • 9/21 available to support
  • 9/28 no longer on this standup

Tom

  • 9/21 finishing on on boarding preparing to join sprint next week.
  • 9/26
  •  9/28
    • Ready to help support release
    • Will shift to hubot work
  •  10/3
    • Working on OPS-307. Sorted changes to new deploy requirements.
    • Plan to create show-blocks ticket for error reported in discord
  • 10/5
    • Shadowed an interview
    • Working with 
  • 10/8
    • Last week: RHOC script, latency test, homebrew
    • Next sprint: release management 




Questions for next standup